Saturday, April 14, 2012

Frustration with Seat Belts

[A recent idea I feel compelled to try and express.]

Okay.  I have finally come up with a decent metaphor partially describing what I go through with my "adjustments."

Try to remember the last time you had a fight with an unruly seat belt.  You know, when it is too long and gets flipped so many times that a twists even manage to get swallowed by the side panels.  You simply can't get the uncomfortable twist out of the belt.  My most common physical state actually does feel much like one of those twists is in my muscles, well, a few in different spots.  Quite maddening.

However, the more apt comparison is when you are trying to fix a seat belt, get it unwound, but it doesn't work because you have yet to notice how many times it is twisted down below your hip.  You had no idea a big knot of belt was even down there.  You had fixed the upper half, and almost as soon as you begin doing anything else, the twist is back because the wad tangled below the hip had worked a twist up the belt and on you again.

This is where I am now.  My upper torso feels very close to "balanced" for a few moments, only to be slightly off within minutes (although significant "adjustments" still happen around the shoulders, neck, ears, and jaw, it is comparatively "balanced" to what I was just months ago, at least in the shoulders).  Significant "twists" get unwound only after my hips release "slack," for lack of terms, or have their own significant "adjustments."

At least with a seat belt, you can actually see and count the twists.  Well, unless the side panel swallowed one.  I have no idea just how much I need to correct in my hips before I will come anywhere near balance.  I should start swimming again, soon, however, as the weather begins to turn, and my first significant success with my hips came from focused breaststroke.

Hopefully, soon, I'll have a better idea of where I stand in terms of rehab.  This winter has been difficult, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment