Sunday, July 12, 2015

Another New Kick

It has been a great struggle of late.

I have not been able to come close to the amount of swimming I was doing by this time last year.  I am barely doing a third as much.

That said, progress is still being made.  My kick has improved yet again. 

I want to go into full details, but am too drained to focus well enough to do it.

The rough outline:  I am generating the kick from much higher up my legs.  When I find a certain groove, it is almost as if I am no longer kicking, no longer using force against the water.  It is much more like both my legs oscillate opposite each other and are snaking their way through the water.

I literally speed up using much less force.

*     *     *     *     *

In just a few days of this, I have had to deal with significant lower abdomen posture changes, which in turn change everything above it.

My chest is a mess.  It is possible the shoulder issues are of such a range as to cascade far around the chest.

As always, the right and left sides are inversions of each other, making adjustments tricky.  When I manage to move correctly, things slide into place almost seamlessly.  When not, it's unpleasant, with resulting discomfort and issues galore.

*     *     *     *     *

Most disconcerting is the difficulty in swallowing I have had these past weeks.  Near every swallow is a chore, often not successful. 

I have even failed to swallow a swig of water on more than one occasion.

When the chest/shoulder contortions are severe, the neck sometimes buckles, sometimes unbuckles (when I did not know it was buckled in the first place!), making swallowing impossible for a term, or alternatively, making me capable of swallowing anything with ease.

*     *     *     *     *

I am unstable on every front, physical and mental. 

No comments:

Post a Comment